I hate jogging. I really do not know, why so many people are interested in it. It is so boring. You run – step, step, step, step,… Your pulse is beating faster than normal. You are going to be in a sweat. If you speed-up, your heart is beating in your neck. If you slow down, it is better to go sleep for you. OK, OK for the purpose of meditation it can be fine. But I prefer to meditate in my bed.
Well, things like this and more are in my head when I think about jogging. BUT! Not now anymore. First time I came to Systema training and jog Systema way I was really surprised. We ran about 15 minutes. But when we finished, I felt like I can run more. I was not soaked by sweat. It is maybe little bit audacious to say this but I was happy. Waaauuu. It is perfect. Why didn’t we do that in the school? Not running up to death as we used to. This is something pupils should learn in the school.
Let’go to run
So what is so interesting about Systema running? What is different to usual jogging? The key word is relaxation. The way we run, the way we breathe, how we hold the arms, legs, and everything are subject to be relaxed.
- Your legs are relaxed as much as possible. Your arms alongside your body. Relaxed, but not much (they should not hang loosely)
- Start with the relaxed jog. One step you inhale, one step exhale. Run few circles with this setup.
- Move up to two steps inhale, two steps exhale.
- Continue to number 12.
- When you are on the top, start to countdown. This means you will go for eleven, ten, etc.
When you are somewhere in the middle you can change your hands’ position. Similar to this picture. (I am sorry for the quality, but the picture was taken from this video)
Now, little bit comfortless. Continue running as you run till now. Steps counting will become different. Now it is similar to circle breathing in yoga.
- 4 steps inhale
- 4 steps hold the breath
- 4 steps exhale
- 4 steps hold
On the beginning, you may feel uncomfortable, but after several circles you are fine.
Let run with irregularity
While next exercises you used your breath and its count quite regularly, now it is different. Irregularity brings you more concentration. You must be more careful how you breathe and run. Each line down is the separate phase. Try to breathe the same number of circles (in the case you running in the circles. Otherwise run the same distance) for each phase.
- three steps inhale, three steps hold, three steps exhale – continue few circles
- three steps inhale, three steps exhale, three steps hold – again continue several circles
- 1 step inhale, 3 steps exhale
- 3 steps inhale, 1 step exhale
- 5 steps inhale, 3 steps hold, 5 steps exhale
- 3 steps inhale, 5 steps hold, 3 steps exhale
- 5 steps inhale, 3 steps hold, 2 steps exhale
Above are just examples. Use some of them. Not necessary to use everything in one jogging exercise.
I mentioned one big advantage of this kind of jogging. When you finish your breath is calm. You are not tired of running. There is also another profit of this kind of jogging. You can run endlessly this way (mostly meaning for regular breathing, pyramid way).
I hope results will positively surprise you. Your jogging will never be boring. And what is more important, you will achieve improvements soon.
P.S.: It is always good to come to Systema school. You can find one here. But there are some exercises (like the one described here in this article), which you are able to practice alone.