Sama-Vritti (Square Breath Pattern)
In preview article we have discussed about breathing retention. Holding breath is really healthful. In this exercise, we will use the breath retention in the circle. Or better say in the square breathing. It is really easy to make this exercise and I am sure you will enjoy it. Sama-vritti consists of four patterns. Breath in, holding breath, breathe out, holding breath,…
Benefits of square breathing
When you practice this exercise, your concentration improves. You need to count and to think that you need to switch to another breath pattern.
Also if you breathe this way, you are preparing yourself to be relaxed. And not just sitting or lying and be relaxed. Relax independently of your movements. It does not matter what you do, you should be relaxed (with the body in proper position). I will discuss it in later articles.
How to make this breathing exercise
Square breathing is as easy as counting from one to four. You can imagine it like a square. On each side is another pattern.
- For this breathing exercise you do not need to sit on the chair or lotus position. This exercise can be done when you walk, or even if you run.
- Start breathing in – during inhalation count to four (if you walk or run count your steps)
- Hold your breath. While you hold your breath count to four again (or count your steps)
- Continue by exhaling and again count to four (seconds, or steps)
- Last in this round – hold your breath to four
- This was one round/square
- Do this square about ten minutes. You can do it while you are going to your work (watch the traffic).